- This event has passed.
Beyond the Restraining Order: Civil Options for Victims of Domestic Violence
June 9, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm EDTFree
Civil domestic violence remedies too often get lost in the gap between the family law attorney and the personal injury attorney. This webinar will explore how victims of domestic violence can use civil lawsuits to obtain justice, hold responsible parties accountable, and obtain the financial resources needed to rebuild their lives. Attorneys can assist survivors in achieving justice by identifying the monetary and non-monetary benefits of pursuing a civil case and leaving no option foreclosed.
- Webinar Objectives:
- Compare the victim’s role in a civil case v. criminal case;
- Explore pros and cons for victims pursuing civil remedies;
- Identification of tort remedies;
- Third party defendants;
- Risks and affirmative defenses;
- Intersection of the family law and the civil case- strategies to incorporate demand and settlement;
- Opportunities for collaboration- district attorneys, victim advocates, law enforcement.